Set environment variable from SYS call
j***@mdfs.net
2018-06-26 23:57:57 UTC
Years ago I wrote a *SYS command which simply issues the specified
SYS call so I could do things like *SYS HourglassSmash in Obey
files and suchlike. In various circumstances I needed to read the
results from a SYS call in an Obey file, and wrote various add-hoc
commands such as *IfRetVal, *IfInkey -1, *ReadADVAL, etc. It's the
sort of thing that should be tidied into a consistant generalised
API. I initially wrote a *SetFromFX but that restricts it to
calling OSBYTE, I thought of something more generalised like:

*SetFooBar BytesWaiting num R1 OS_Byte,128,255,255
*SetFooBar Shift num R1 OS_Byte,129,255,255
*SetFooBar Type num R0 OS_File,5,<File$BeingTested>
*SetFooBar Name string R0 blah blah

...but what would be a suitable name for the FooBar bit. My initial
thought are *SetFromSYS. And the synyax needs thinking about.

jgh
druck
2018-06-27 19:12:00 UTC
Post by j***@mdfs.net
Years ago I wrote a *SYS command which simply issues the specified
SYS call so I could do things like *SYS HourglassSmash in Obey
files and suchlike.
There is module called OSSYS which does exactly this and returns values
in system variable.

According to ANS filebase it used to be at
http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/OSSys.zip until 2010. But I dont
remember writing it (no author attributed in the code which is unlike
me) and I can't even remember who quantumsoft were.

---druck
druck
2018-06-27 19:35:00 UTC
Post by druck
Post by j***@mdfs.net
Years ago I wrote a *SYS command which simply issues the specified
SYS call so I could do things like *SYS HourglassSmash in Obey
files and suchlike.
There is module called OSSYS which does exactly this and returns values
in system variable.
According to ANS filebase it used to be at
http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/druck/OSSys.zip until 2010. But I dont
remember writing it (no author attributed in the code which is unlike
me) and I can't even remember who quantumsoft were.
Well I didn't write it, but I did port it to 32 bits, and it's been
available from https://armclub.org.uk/32bit/ since 2003.

---druck
j***@mdfs.net
That looks perfect, thanks.
Jim Nagel
2018-06-27 20:31:55 UTC
Alan Wrigley
2018-06-28 08:09:05 UTC
... I can't even remember who quantumsoft were.
Stuart Halliday, somewhere near Edinburgh. You might also remember
him as Mr Acorn Cybervillage back when the web was young.
Stuart is still around. He posts to one of the Acorn groups on Facebook
occasionally.

Alan
--
RISC OS - you know it makes cents