Creating and displaying output on a throwback window.
u***@garethlock.com
2017-12-21 02:58:29 UTC
Can anyone provide any clues as to how to do this from BASIC?? Is it just a matter of launching from a TaskObey file, or is there more to it?
Martin
2017-12-21 10:01:21 UTC
On 21 Dec in article
Post by u***@garethlock.com
Can anyone provide any clues as to how to do this from BASIC?? Is it
just a matter of launching from a TaskObey file, or is there more to it?
See the docs (or OS StrongHelp manual) for DDEUtils. There are SWIs and
Wimp messages involved.

What are you trying to throwback?
If it is just error messages, you could use
*ReportError T
provided by the Reporter module.

<plug>
If you are writing in BASIC, I would recommend using Reporter anyway!
</plug>

Martin
--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.
Steve Drain
2017-12-21 10:46:16 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by u***@garethlock.com
Can anyone provide any clues as to how to do this from BASIC?? Is it
just a matter of launching from a TaskObey file, or is there more to it?
If you are writing in BASIC, I would recommend using Reporter anyway!
So would I, but you might use Basalt and the THROW keyword.

Failing that, here is a slightly modified copy of the routine I use when
assembling Basalt, which you might use after you have read the
documentation.

DEFPROCerror
ON ERROR OFF
SYS"XDDEUtils_ThrowbackStart"
SYS"DDEUtils_ThrowbackSend",1,,filename$,ERL,1,REPORT$
SYS"XDDEUtils_ThrowbackEnd"
END

One warning, DDEUtils can stop responding, so it might need a RMReInit
from time to time.

---
http://www.avg.com
u***@garethlock.com
2017-12-21 12:31:02 UTC
What I was trying to achieve was a display of activity from within a subprocess. It goes back to !RPiConfig, the two parts that actually read and write CONFIG.TXT are separate bits of BASIC that are launched from the GUI using Wimp_StartTask. I guess if this is going to work, I'm going to need to wrap it in a WIMP task and master Wimp_PollIdle. Which is probably a better way of doing it anyway... However, I really need to be able to pass it strings rather than files, as this will be real-time output.