Screen saver code fails to work
Richard Ashbery
2018-12-18 14:32:05 UTC
I've been testing a simple graphic program with the late, Martin Fox's
Wimp polling routine to create a screen saver. ORIGIN 1920,1080 sets
the graphic in the screen centre. Whenever the Screen saver is run
from the Configuration Screen window program crashes. The program
appears to run error free with its origin set in bottom left hand
corner of screen if REMmed out. Is there a CLI command I could try
instead?
Ron
2018-12-18 19:54:46 UTC
Post by Richard Ashbery
reen window program crashes. The program
appears to run error free with its origin set in bottom left hand
corner of screen if REMmed
OK, what's the largest point you can set for the origin other than 0,0 ?

Ron
***@GMail.com
Steve Fryatt
2018-12-18 20:18:05 UTC
On 18 Dec, Richard Ashbery wrote in message
Post by Richard Ashbery
I've been testing a simple graphic program with the late, Martin Fox's
Wimp polling routine to create a screen saver. ORIGIN 1920,1080 sets the
graphic in the screen centre. Whenever the Screen saver is run from the
Configuration Screen window program crashes.
You don't say what "crashes" means, and I'm not completely clear if it's the
Configure application or your screen saver which does it?
Post by Richard Ashbery
The program appears to run error free with its origin set in bottom left
hand corner of screen if REMmed out. Is there a CLI command I could try
instead?
Although not listed in the "don't use under the Wimp" keywords, ORIGIN
affects the entire system and all running applications: moving the origin to
the centre of the screen could result in applications getting coordinates
that they don't expect (although they shouldn't crash as a result).

Since moving the origin is just a numerical nicety, can the code not be
changed to work using (0,0) in its more usual location?
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
druck
2018-12-18 21:53:45 UTC
Post by Steve Fryatt
Although not listed in the "don't use under the Wimp" keywords, ORIGIN
affects the entire system and all running applications: moving the origin to
the centre of the screen could result in applications getting coordinates
that they don't expect (although they shouldn't crash as a result).
I would have though it would be reset on a Wimp poll or redraw loop
along with the current graphics window, but I could be wrong.

---druck
Richard Ashbery
2018-12-21 21:31:31 UTC
Post by Richard Ashbery
I've been testing a simple graphic program with the late, Martin
Fox's Wimp polling routine to create a screen saver. ORIGIN
1920,1080 sets the graphic in the screen centre. Whenever the
Screen saver is run from the Configuration Screen window program
crashes.
You don't say what "crashes" means, and I'm not completely clear if
it's the Configure application or your screen saver which does it?
Surely it's the screen saver which is causing the Configure.Screen to
crash as other screen saver programs I've tested appear to work
effectively.
Post by Steve Fryatt
Post by Richard Ashbery
The program appears to run error free with its origin set in
bottom left hand corner of screen if REMmed out. Is there a CLI
command I could try instead?
Although not listed in the "don't use under the Wimp" keywords,
moving the origin to the centre of the screen could result in
applications getting coordinates that they don't expect (although
they shouldn't crash as a result).
Makes sense but how frustrating! It means I would have to spend
endless hours editing several programs to cope with 0,0 co-ordinates.
In my ignorance I thought this would be simple to do. Many of the
programs are from Drag'nDrop's 55 Micro Books.
Post by Steve Fryatt
Since moving the origin is just a numerical nicety, can the code
not be changed to work using (0,0) in its more usual location?
Answered above.

All of my test programs complete their drawing rapidly but some cause
the Configuration.Screen application to crash. I think I might have to
put the polling routine/graphic program onto a site where I can ask
you or others to have a look at the coding. At the moment I don't have
a website where I can do this - I'll try and sort something out. In
the meantime I'll try and understand the Wimp polling - someone said
it was easy - I don't think so :-(

Richard