Questions to compiling !POPStar on Titanium with DDE
Add Reply
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2020-03-08 15:42:52 UTC
I got the source code of !POPStar at

https://www.heenan.me.uk/acorn/download.html

From there I also downloaded wimpCLib and SysLog. I copied the contents
of pops205src/zip to DDE.Projects_DDE.POPStar and both !SysLog and
!WimpCLib to DDE.AcornC/C++

After double clicking DDE.Projects_DDE.POPStar!MakeApp32 I get here

| Link -aif -o <MakeApp$Dir>.^.!POPstar.!RunIm32 base64.o bufsock.o
| config.o CRstring.o dkm.o err.o errlist.o ftrunc.o log.o popstar.o
| msgs.o pop.o smtpsend.o status.o stopquit.o time822.o treport.o user.o
| xconnect.o xsock.o leakcheck.o riscnet.o oversize.o voyager.o
| sockwatch.o <syslog$dir>.C-veneer.o.syslog32 WimpCLib:o.wimpc32
| POPstarTCP:inetlib POPstarTCP:unixlib POPstarTCP:socklib C:o.wimplib
| C:o.stubs
|
| ARM Linker: (Fatal) File <syslog$dir>.C-veneer.o.syslog32 not found.
|
| AMU: *** exit (1) ***
|
| AMU: *** '<MakeApp$Dir>.^.!POPstar.!RunIm32' not re-made because of
| errors ***

In DDE.CornC/C++.!SysLoc.C-veneer.o there is no file with name syslog32.
From where do I get this file?

Also, DDE.Projects_DDE.POPStar.HowTo says

| Requires my wimpclib, NetLib or socketlib, and SysLog.

Where do I find NetLib / socketlib?

Thanks in advance!

A.
--
ARM Cortex A15 (Titanium), RISC OS 5.24
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/
n***@sprow.co.uk
2020-03-08 20:12:21 UTC
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
| Requires my wimpclib, NetLib or socketlib, and SysLog.
Where do I find NetLib / socketlib?
In the DDE these should be found at
TCPIPLibs:o.socklib
TCPIPLibs:o.inetlib

in the above link command is looks like POPstarTCP has been set up to be the directory path TCPIPLibs:o. <-- the trailing dot is important!
Sprow.
Jean-Michel
2020-03-08 22:18:02 UTC
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
I got the source code of !POPStar at
https://www.heenan.me.uk/acorn/download.html
From there I also downloaded wimpCLib and SysLog. I copied the contents
of pops205src/zip to DDE.Projects_DDE.POPStar and both !SysLog and
!WimpCLib to DDE.AcornC/C++
After double clicking DDE.Projects_DDE.POPStar!MakeApp32 I get here
| Link -aif -o <MakeApp$Dir>.^.!POPstar.!RunIm32 base64.o bufsock.o
| config.o CRstring.o dkm.o err.o errlist.o ftrunc.o log.o popstar.o
| msgs.o pop.o smtpsend.o status.o stopquit.o time822.o treport.o user.o
| xconnect.o xsock.o leakcheck.o riscnet.o oversize.o voyager.o
| sockwatch.o <syslog$dir>.C-veneer.o.syslog32 WimpCLib:o.wimpc32
| POPstarTCP:inetlib POPstarTCP:unixlib POPstarTCP:socklib C:o.wimplib
| C:o.stubs
|
| ARM Linker: (Fatal) File <syslog$dir>.C-veneer.o.syslog32 not found.
|
| AMU: *** exit (1) ***
|
| AMU: *** '<MakeApp$Dir>.^.!POPstar.!RunIm32' not re-made because of
| errors ***
In DDE.CornC/C++.!SysLoc.C-veneer.o there is no file with name syslog32.
From where do I get this file?
It's in !Boot.resources.!Syslog with the C-veener
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
Also, DDE.Projects_DDE.POPStar.HowTo says
| Requires my wimpclib, NetLib or socketlib, and SysLog.
Where do I find NetLib / socketlib?
In DDE Makefiles.Applibs

SOCK4LIB = TCPIPLibs:o.socklib
SOCK5LIB = TCPIPLibs:o.socklib5
INETLIB = TCPIPLibs:o.inetlib

you also need to recompile wimpclib...

Cordialement

Jean-Michel
--
Jean-Michel BRÜCK (France)
Mél :***@orange.fr
RiscOS 5.23 : RiscPc/IyonixPC/Raspberry/ARMX6.
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2020-03-13 17:51:44 UTC
Post by Jean-Michel
you also need to recompile wimpclib...
Merci beaucoup. Ca avec syslog32 marche maintenant.

Trying recompile wimpclib I get here:

| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'Internet:sys.h.types'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:sys.h.socket'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:sys.h.errno'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:sys.h.types'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:h.netdb'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:netinet.h.in'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:arpa.h.inet'
| cc -c -depend !Depend -IC:,netlib: -throwback -ffah -o @.o.dnslib @.c.dnslib
| AMU: *** No writable memory at this address ***
|
| AMU: *** 'o.wimpclib' not re-made because of errors ***

I have no idea what this means.

A.
Jean-Michel
2020-03-13 20:02:18 UTC
Post by Jean-Michel
you also need to recompile wimpclib...
Merci beaucoup. Ca avec syslog32 marche maintenant.
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'Internet:sys.h.types'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:sys.h.socket'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:sys.h.errno'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:sys.h.types'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:h.netdb'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:netinet.h.in'
| AMU: failed to read time stamp for 'netlib:arpa.h.inet'
| AMU: *** No writable memory at this address ***
What is the wimpslot next size. with DDE I use 20000K without problem
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer

| AMU: *** 'o.wimpclib' not re-made because of errors ***
I have no idea what this means.
To test the DDE, I compiled a full version of !PopStar: wimplib and postar
itself.
DDE is a fine tool.
So I can help you.

WimpC
I needed to modify files with #include
Here is the makefile to build Wimpc
# Makefile for wimpc library

COMPONENT = wimplib32
#TARGET = !RunImage
OBJS = centrewin createicon createmenu delicon\
dnslib getictext icfade icselect icselected loadtemp \
menufade menufadea menuflag menuheight menuread menuupdate\
opensize openwin openwincen setextent setictext setinfover \
settitle taskpres urlrecv urlsend

CINCLUDES = -IC:,TCPIPLibs:,Tbox:
LIBS = ${TBOXLibs} ${NET4LIBS}

include CLibrary

C_WARNINGS = -fa -Wp

clean_all:: clean
${WIPE} ${INSTAPP} ${WFLAGS}

And the line in the command file Mk which does the job
amu all_libs THROWBACK=-throwback
Jean-Michel
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2020-03-15 16:39:10 UTC
In message <***@jmc.bruck.orange.fr>
Jean-Michel <***@orange.fr> wrote:

[coupé]
Post by Jean-Michel
And the line in the command file Mk which does the job
amu all_libs THROWBACK=-throwback
Merci beaucoup pour m'aider. J'ai seulement le problème que je ne
comprends pas que je dois faire. Jamais j'ai travaillé avec Make. Mais
je crois à comprende maintenant qu'il faut faire un bibliothèque
(librarie). C'est quelque chose que je n'ai jamais fait aussi, ne pas
apprendre. J'essaie à comprendre, à apprendre et peut-etre qu'il faut
quelque temps pour arriver ça.

A.
Jean-Michel
2020-03-15 17:49:44 UTC
Post by Jean-Michel
And the line in the command file Mk which does the job
amu all_libs THROWBACK=-throwback
Merci beaucoup pour m'aider. J'ai seulement le problème que je ne
comprends pas que je dois faire. Jamais j'ai travaillé avec Make.
[cut]
C'est quelque chose que je n'ai jamais fait aussi, ne pas
apprendre. J'essaie à comprendre, à apprendre et peut-etre qu'il faut
quelque temps pour arriver ça.
Merci pour la réponse en Français.
But I will continue in English (fair, corrections are welcome), this can
be useful for everyone.

The best way to use DDE is to test the examples provided with the
application.
There is a directory called Skeletons in which the examples are prepared
correctly with a recommended directory architecture (also used with the
RISC OS construction tool)
- directories c, h
- a text file Makefile and 3 TaskObey files.
All is ready just clic on MK
Nice.
Take a look at the Makefile from example Application, it is the most
documented.
In the AcornC / C ++ directory there is a directory named Makefiles. It
does the jobs for us.

When the AcornC / C ++ directory is opened, the library paths are
initialized and therefore usable by DDE.
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
Mais je crois à comprende maintenant qu'il faut faire un bibliothèque
(librarie).
Yes, the Popstar application needs this library (wimpc) to compile. (it's
old but it works, I use OsLib, more up to date)
The example to test is in Skeletons.examplelib: Makefile and Mk are are
specific.

Here to learn, I admit that it lacks a manual to get started with DDE.
It's a shame because it is very efficient in compilation time and in code
size.

Note:
If you wish to do the tests with the example directories, you can test a
small tool that I use with the DDE: !DIDEROT
Launch the application! Diderot and drag and drop one of the example
workbooks. you get a tree view and command buttons.
Please note, this is not a Filer's directory. You can open files but you
cannot delete them. Tree icons respond to a single click like a control
panel.
This makes it possible to manage the developments while respecting the
structure established by the DDE and to gather everything in a single
window.

To see what it looks like and download :
https://jeanmichelb.riscos.fr/Programmes.html#DDE_tool

I must add a section on my site so that you can recover the compilation
files for programs that I did not write.
Jean-Michel
Jean-Michel
2020-03-15 19:36:29 UTC
Thanks to Webwonder
I have updated my web site :
PopStar is in item "Prog (not written bye me!)"
I have to move in this page the PSIFS 32 bits version from Alexander
Thoukydides. Thanks to him for making the source program available, an
excellent programming model.
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2020-03-18 17:28:58 UTC
Post by Jean-Michel
Thanks to Webwonder
I have this programme, aussi, mais moi je prefere !StrongED &
!SiteMatch.
Post by Jean-Michel
PopStar is in item "Prog (not written bye me!)"
I have to move in this page the PSIFS 32 bits version from Alexander
Thoukydides. Thanks to him for making the source program available, an
excellent programming model.
Merci pour m'aider.

Compiling "your" version of WimpCLib which I found at

https://jeanmichelb.riscos.fr/Download/PopStarDDE.zip

I get the error

| AMU: command too long (must be shorter than 255 chars)
| libfile -c -o o.wimplib32 o.centrewin o.createicon o.createmenu
| o.delicon o.dnslib o.getictext o.icfade o.icselect o.icselected
| o.loadtemp o.menufade o.menufadea o.menuflag o.menuheight o.menuread
| o.menuupdate o.opensize o.openwin o.openwincen o.setextent o.setictext
| o.setinfover o.settitle o.taskpres o.urlrecv o.urlsend

and I'm missing the file wimplib32 in the directory called WimpC.o

I snipped and coppied the line

| libfile -c -o o.wimplib32 o.centrewin o.createicon o.createmenu
| o.delicon o.dnslib o.getictext o.icfade o.icselect o.icselected
| o.loadtemp o.menufade o.menufadea o.menuflag o.menuheight o.menuread
| o.menuupdate o.opensize o.openwin o.openwincen o.setextent o.setictext
| o.setinfover o.settitle o.taskpres o.urlrecv o.urlsend

into an obey file and doubled clicked on it. It seems to work because I
get now the file wimplib32.

Same with the Pop205 directory.

What is the reason for the error / fault?

You called it PopStarDDE.zip. Isn't the version I found here

https://www.heenan.me.uk/acorn/download.html

for DDE?

Ciao,

A.
Jean-Michel
2020-03-18 18:38:33 UTC
Post by Jean-Michel
Thanks to Webwonder
I have this programme, aussi, mais moi je prefere !StrongED &
!SiteMatch.
Je ne connais pas grand chose en HTML...
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
Merci pour m'aider.
Compiling "your" version of WimpCLib which I found at
https://jeanmichelb.riscos.fr/Download/PopStarDDE.zip
I get the error
| AMU: command too long (must be shorter than 255 chars)
| libfile -c -o o.wimplib32 o.centrewin o.createicon o.createmenu
| o.delicon o.dnslib o.getictext o.icfade o.icselect o.icselected
| o.loadtemp o.menufade o.menufadea o.menuflag o.menuheight o.menuread
| o.menuupdate o.opensize o.openwin o.openwincen o.setextent o.setictext
| o.setinfover o.settitle o.taskpres o.urlrecv o.urlsend
and I'm missing the file wimplib32 in the directory called WimpC.o
I snipped and coppied the line
| libfile -c -o o.wimplib32 o.centrewin o.createicon o.createmenu
| o.delicon o.dnslib o.getictext o.icfade o.icselect o.icselected
| o.loadtemp o.menufade o.menufadea o.menuflag o.menuheight o.menuread
| o.menuupdate o.opensize o.openwin o.openwincen o.setextent o.setictext
| o.setinfover o.settitle o.taskpres o.urlrecv o.urlsend
into an obey file and doubled clicked on it. It seems to work because I
get now the file wimplib32.
Same with the Pop205 directory.
What is the reason for the error / fault?
Yes the command line is longer than 256c but, with the amu command,
I did not have this problem, it may be from your version of DDE (DDE 28
here)?
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
You called it PopStarDDE.zip. Isn't the version I found here
https://www.heenan.me.uk/acorn/download.html
for DDE?
I get PopStar205src and wimpc104 from the address above.

=> PopStar205src for DDE.

The result of the compilation should give the same thing as the version of
2003, but the compiler has evolved (CC 5.77 07/30/2018)

For information:
I don't know how to use PopStar !!!
I use !NewsHound (same author) for news. Works well with Messenger.

In fact it was to test the DDE and its libraries.

I'm interested if you can make it work !PopStar ....

Salut,
Jean-Michel
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2020-03-19 16:41:09 UTC
http://fr.selfhtml.org/
Post by Jean-Michel
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
I get the error
| AMU: command too long (must be shorter than 255 chars)
| libfile -c -o o.wimplib32 o.centrewin o.createicon o.createmenu
| o.delicon o.dnslib o.getictext o.icfade o.icselect o.icselected
| o.loadtemp o.menufade o.menufadea o.menuflag o.menuheight o.menuread
| o.menuupdate o.opensize o.openwin o.openwincen o.setextent o.setictext
| o.setinfover o.settitle o.taskpres o.urlrecv o.urlsend
and I'm missing the file wimplib32 in the directory called WimpC.o
I snipped and coppied the line
| libfile -c -o o.wimplib32 o.centrewin o.createicon o.createmenu
| o.delicon o.dnslib o.getictext o.icfade o.icselect o.icselected
| o.loadtemp o.menufade o.menufadea o.menuflag o.menuheight o.menuread
| o.menuupdate o.opensize o.openwin o.openwincen o.setextent o.setictext
| o.setinfover o.settitle o.taskpres o.urlrecv o.urlsend
into an obey file and doubled clicked on it. It seems to work because I
get now the file wimplib32.
Same with the Pop205 directory.
What is the reason for the error / fault?
Yes the command line is longer than 256c but, with the amu command,
I did not have this problem, it may be from your version of DDE (DDE 28
here)?
Where do I find the version number? There are a lot of files and
utilities comming with DDE but not one.
Post by Jean-Michel
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
You called it PopStarDDE.zip. Isn't the version I found here
https://www.heenan.me.uk/acorn/download.html
for DDE?
I get PopStar205src and wimpc104 from the address above.
=> PopStar205src for DDE.
The result of the compilation should give the same thing as the version of
2003, but the compiler has evolved (CC 5.77 07/30/2018)
I don't know how to use PopStar !!!
It was the first programme ever I used to fetch my emails. It is
similary to !Hermes but free. I always liked to improve it.
Post by Jean-Michel
I use !NewsHound (same author) for news. Works well with Messenger.
In fact it was to test the DDE and its libraries.
I'm interested if you can make it work !PopStar ....
With your help I was able to compile !PopStar now. To me it is a very
complicate process. You have to set up a lot of variables before you can
compile it successfully. Also, it builds just the file !RunIm32 which is
a part of !POPStar but not all. You will find the rest when you download
the whole application

https://www.heenan.me.uk/distrib/popstar/popstr205.zip

I will study now the whole process with DDE before I try to switch
everything to GCC. The target is to join !POPStar with the
GNU-TLS-library and to improve the software not in only this way.

A.
Jean-Michel
2020-03-20 09:41:56 UTC
Post by Jean-Michel
Yes the command line is longer than 256c but, with the amu command,
I did not have this problem, it may be from your version of DDE (DDE 28
here)?
Where do I find the version number? There are a lot of files and
utilities comming with DDE but not one.
Type CC in a taskwindow, this is the C compiler, the version number
changes with each version of the DDE.
Mine is 5.77 for DDE28b
Post by Jean-Michel
I use !NewsHound (same author) for news. Works well with Messenger.
In fact it was to test the DDE and its libraries.
I'm interested if you can make it work !PopStar ....
With your help I was able to compile !PopStar now. To me it is a very
complicate process. You have to set up a lot of variables before you can
compile it successfully. Also, it builds just the file !RunIm32 which is
a part of !POPStar but not all. You will find the rest when you download
the whole application
https://www.heenan.me.uk/distrib/popstar/popstr205.zip
If you click on MkInstall you get the complete application in the Install
directory which is in AcornC / C ++.
This is in the Makefile file.

Now I just launched! InstTrans:
"This program will install the POPstar newsbase transport
into the !NewsDir.newsbase.transports directory."
OK
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
I will study now the whole process with DDE before I try to switch
everything to GCC. The target is to join !POPStar with the
GNU-TLS-library and to improve the software not in only this way.
Good luck!

A.
--
Jean-Michel