User defined mouse pointers.
Add Reply
u***@garethlock.com
2019-10-18 12:43:33 UTC
Writing a simple game to run as a single tasking full screen app in Mode 28. Want to define the mouse pointer to be one of (currently 2) 256 colour mode 28 sprites. A la Lemmings et all.

I've seen it done, so I know it's possible. Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction?
druck
2019-10-18 20:13:23 UTC
Post by u***@garethlock.com
Writing a simple game to run as a single tasking full screen app in Mode 28. Want to define the mouse pointer to be one of (currently 2) 256 colour mode 28 sprites. A la Lemmings et all.
I've seen it done, so I know it's possible. Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction?
It isn't possible, the mouse point is a 4 colour overlay of restricted
dimensions.

That's not to say you can't just hide the mouse pointer and plot any
sprite you want at the mouse position.

---druck
u***@garethlock.com
2019-10-25 21:45:35 UTC
Is there a module around that replaces the mouse pointer with a sprite as described... I'm writing this thing in BASIC, with a point and click interface, it would need to be interrupt driven.
Peter Young
2019-10-26 06:49:51 UTC
Post by u***@garethlock.com
Is there a module around that replaces the mouse pointer with a sprite as
described... I'm writing this thing in BASIC, with a point and click
interface, it would need to be interrupt driven.
If I understand what you're after, Bernard Veasey's !Pointer does that.
https://www.bapfish.org.uk/software.htm

Best wishes,

Peter.
--
Peter Young and family
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
***@ormail.co.uk
druck
2019-10-26 09:20:56 UTC
Post by u***@garethlock.com
Is there a module around that replaces the mouse pointer with a sprite as described... I'm writing this thing in BASIC, with a point and click interface, it would need to be interrupt driven.
If it's a game running full screen, you should just plot the sprite at
the position of the mouse pointer as part of your screen update routine.
There's no need for anything interrupt driven, and I assume you'll be
plotting other sprites as part of the process.

---druck
u***@garethlock.com
2019-10-27 21:26:30 UTC
Not really, with the interface, we display the sprites, then check mouse co-rods and button state against "hotspots" to return an event... I guess I could do it here... The issue occurs during the two game types whereby I'm dealing with the countdown timer during the event loop.
Steve Fryatt
2019-10-27 23:09:42 UTC
Post by u***@garethlock.com
Not really, with the interface, we display the sprites, then check mouse
co-rods and button state against "hotspots" to return an event... I guess
I could do it here... The issue occurs during the two game types whereby
I'm dealing with the countdown timer during the event loop.
What's to stop you displaying the pointer sprite at the same time as the
others?
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
u***@garethlock.com
2019-10-28 09:25:24 UTC
Because they're all static, I.e they're only displayed once before the mouse event loop is entered.