Very rust programmer here
Brian Jordan
2019-09-01 18:26:51 UTC
After a very long lay-off and in anticipation of more time indoors over
the coming winter I am attempting to relearn BASIC. The intention is to
use AppBasic or Dr Wimp to eventually produce something useful. Both of
these are well documented, what I am missing is some information on
keywords etc to give me a nudge. I think I once had a book by Ray Favre
but that can't be found. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
Brian Jordan
2019-09-01 18:34:02 UTC
Post by Brian Jordan
After a very long lay-off and in anticipation of more time indoors over
the coming winter I am attempting to relearn BASIC. The intention is to
use AppBasic or Dr Wimp to eventually produce something useful. Both of
these are well documented, what I am missing is some information on
keywords etc to give me a nudge. I think I once had a book by Ray Favre
but that can't be found. Any suggestions?
Thanks
I have just found an electronic copy of "First steps in programming RISC
OS computers" by Martyn Fox on my Pi. This seems to provide most of what
I'm looking for but all otthe suggestions appreciated

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
J Peachey
2019-09-01 19:03:02 UTC
Post by Brian Jordan
Post by Brian Jordan
After a very long lay-off and in anticipation of more time indoors over
the coming winter I am attempting to relearn BASIC. The intention is to
use AppBasic or Dr Wimp to eventually produce something useful. Both of
these are well documented, what I am missing is some information on
keywords etc to give me a nudge. I think I once had a book by Ray Favre
but that can't be found. Any suggestions?
Thanks
I have just found an electronic copy of "First steps in programming RISC
OS computers" by Martyn Fox on my Pi. This seems to provide most of what
I'm looking for but all otthe suggestions appreciated
With Appbasic, it's best to work through the various examples in the
package and the brief tutorial. There is no (as far as I know) other
documentation. I usually find writing a small app using the examples as
templates gets me going. I tend to use of r awhile then nopt program for
long periods - by which time its difficult to remember whats what!

John
_______________________| http://www.jpeachey.co.uk
Brian Jordan
2019-09-01 20:29:35 UTC
In article <***@user.orpheusmail.co.uk>,
J Peachey <***@jpeachey.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]
Post by J Peachey
With Appbasic, it's best to work through the various examples in the
package and the brief tutorial. There is no (as far as I know) other
documentation. I usually find writing a small app using the examples as
templates gets me going. I tend to use of r awhile then nopt program
for long periods - by which time its difficult to remember whats what!
Thank you that's effectively what I am doing but also I'd like to
refresh myself on the subleties of BASIC which I learned back when I
spent a lot of time programming with my son.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
Paul Oates
2019-09-01 20:08:39 UTC
Post by Brian Jordan
After a very long lay-off and in anticipation of more time indoors over
the coming winter I am attempting to relearn BASIC. The intention is to
use AppBasic or Dr Wimp to eventually produce something useful. Both of
these are well documented, what I am missing is some information on
keywords etc to give me a nudge. I think I once had a book by Ray Favre
but that can't be found. Any suggestions?
Thanks
The Ray Favre website is still going:

http://www.rayfavre.me.uk/

and the books can still be purchased.
--
Paul Oates
***@btinternet.com
Brian Jordan
2019-09-01 20:21:52 UTC
Post by Paul Oates
Post by Brian Jordan
After a very long lay-off and in anticipation of more time indoors
over the coming winter I am attempting to relearn BASIC. The
intention is to use AppBasic or Dr Wimp to eventually produce
something useful. Both of these are well documented, what I am
missing is some information on keywords etc to give me a nudge. I
think I once had a book by Ray Favre but that can't be found. Any
suggestions? Thanks
http://www.rayfavre.me.uk/
and the books can still be purchased.
Thank you - I wasn't aware of that.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
Steve Fryatt
2019-09-01 22:01:50 UTC
On 1 Sep, Brian Jordan wrote in message
Post by Brian Jordan
Post by Paul Oates
http://www.rayfavre.me.uk/
and the books can still be purchased.
Thank you - I wasn't aware of that.
There's also the official manual, which contains all of the "walkthrough"
chapters of the original, plus a full reference work on all of the keywords.

https://www.riscosopen.org/content/sales/bbc-basic-reference

It also has the advantage of being completely up to date with modern
systems, which none of the other books mentioned are.

And it bungs some money ROOL's way, which is never a bad thing.
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Brian Jordan
2019-09-02 08:18:09 UTC
In article <***@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
Steve Fryatt <***@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

[Snip]
Post by Steve Fryatt
There's also the official manual, which contains all of the
"walkthrough" chapters of the original, plus a full reference work on
all of the keywords.
https://www.riscosopen.org/content/sales/bbc-basic-reference
It also has the advantage of being completely up to date with modern
systems, which none of the other books mentioned are.
And it bungs some money ROOL's way, which is never a bad thing.
Thanks Steve, some money bunged in that direction.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
Brian Jordan
2019-09-11 11:45:54 UTC
[Snip]
Post by Brian Jordan
Post by Steve Fryatt
And it bungs some money ROOL's way, which is never a bad thing.
Thanks Steve, some money bunged in that direction.
The manual arrived promptly and is very helpful - I'm surprised how much
I have remembered over the last 20 or more years since I did any
programming.

I have spent a useful few evenings with AppBasic working on a little
program which is progressing nicely. When I returned to it today I find
that I can no longer adjust the size of gadgets in the main window using
!ResEd (0.76 12 Apr 2008) as the little handles only appear briefly when
I select the gadget. This also applies to any new gadgets I try to
insert. All of this on VA.

If I import the program to this RPi where AppBasic runs (somewhat
shakily) under Aemulor I am able to perform the required edits although,
I have just noticed, this is with !ResEd (0.33 25-May-95) which has fewer
gadget options.

This is a bit frustrating and disheartening and I'd appreciate any hints
as to what I might try.

Thank you.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
News
2019-09-11 13:08:59 UTC
Post by Brian Jordan
This is a bit frustrating and disheartening and I'd appreciate any hints
as to what I might try.
Maybe the first thing to try would be a later version of !ResEd. My
version dates from Dec 2015, and there may well be a newer version
now. The version numbers are misleading, since like much else, the
versions became very out of sync following the OS split - less said
the better.
Chris Johnson
Brian Jordan
2019-09-11 15:08:47 UTC
Post by News
Post by Brian Jordan
This is a bit frustrating and disheartening and I'd appreciate any
hints as to what I might try.
Maybe the first thing to try would be a later version of !ResEd. My
version dates from Dec 2015, and there may well be a newer version
now. The version numbers are misleading, since like much else, the
versions became very out of sync following the OS split - less said
the better.
Thank you, I have just found v0.59 (26-Aug-18). It works on this Pi and
am editing my templates again!

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
Kevin Wells
2019-09-01 19:12:55 UTC
Post by Brian Jordan
After a very long lay-off and in anticipation of more time indoors over
the coming winter I am attempting to relearn BASIC. The intention is to
use AppBasic or Dr Wimp to eventually produce something useful. Both of
these are well documented, what I am missing is some information on
keywords etc to give me a nudge. I think I once had a book by Ray Favre
but that can't be found. Any suggestions?
Thanks
With DR Wimp the manual has a very good tutorial with it, so go through
that until you are ready to write you own applications.
--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!
Richard Ashbery
2019-09-18 15:47:45 UTC
Post by Brian Jordan
After a very long lay-off and in anticipation of more time indoors
over the coming winter I am attempting to relearn BASIC. The
intention is to use AppBasic or Dr Wimp to eventually produce
something useful. Both of these are well documented, what I am
missing is some information on keywords etc to give me a nudge. I
think I once had a book by Ray Favre but that can't be found. Any
suggestions? Thanks
I meant to send this before going on holiday but didn't.

Some good suggestions have already been made but I found of the best
releases was 55 BBC Micro Books by Chris Dewhurst and all for 13 UKP.
Although books were published many, many years ago much of the BASIC
still works on the latest RISC OS hardware.

The information I have is that Chris has been and may still be ill.
This may put a block on getting this CD but it may be worth persuing.

http://www.dragdrop.co.uk

Richard
Brian Jordan
2019-09-18 16:39:48 UTC
[Snip]
Post by Richard Ashbery
I meant to send this before going on holiday but didn't.
Some good suggestions have already been made but I found of the best
releases was 55 BBC Micro Books by Chris Dewhurst and all for 13 UKP.
Although books were published many, many years ago much of the BASIC
still works on the latest RISC OS hardware.
The information I have is that Chris has been and may still be ill.
This may put a block on getting this CD but it may be worth persuing.
http://www.dragdrop.co.uk
Richard
Thanks for the suggestion. I have sent you a personal email.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
Richard Ashbery
2019-09-19 15:11:47 UTC
Post by Brian Jordan
[Snip]
Post by Richard Ashbery
I meant to send this before going on holiday but didn't.
Some good suggestions have already been made but I found one of the
best releases was 55 BBC Micro Books by Chris Dewhurst and all for
13 UKP. Although books were published many, many years ago much of
the BASIC still works on the latest RISC OS hardware.
The information I have is that Chris has been and may still be
ill. This may put a block on getting this CD but it may be worth
persuing.
http://www.dragdrop.co.uk
Richard
Thanks for the suggestion. I have sent you a personal email. B
Hi Brian

Not received - old email address perhaps?

Regards

Richard
Brian Jordan
2019-09-19 15:48:26 UTC
[Snip]
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Brian Jordan
Thanks for the suggestion. I have sent you a personal email. B
Hi Brian
Not received - old email address perhaps?
I wasn't sure whether the invalid.addr.uk was right so I Cc'd to the
address on the dragdrop site. No worries, it was just to comment how
helpful I had found your AppBasic primer in Archive 24/2.

Best wishes
Brian

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.23 on Raspberry Pi
Richard Ashbery
2019-09-20 11:30:21 UTC
Post by Brian Jordan
[Snip]
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Brian Jordan
Thanks for the suggestion. I have sent you a personal email. B
Hi Brian
Not received - old email address perhaps?
I wasn't sure whether the invalid.addr.uk was right so I Cc'd to
the address on the dragdrop site. No worries, it was just to
comment how helpful I had found your AppBasic primer in Archive
24/2.
Many thanks for your feedback - I'd almost forgotten about the article
- it was at least 3 years ago - time flies. I looked at !AppBasic many
years ago before publishing the tutorial. I also attended a Wakefield
talk by the superb programmer, Joe Taylor that but did'nt appreciate how
excellent it was. I've not done anything with it since because I wanted
to use it for graphic work for which my knowledge is lacking - I'm not a
"natural" programmer and struggled. I've since tried to learn more about
BASIC (single tasking) relating to graphics. If graphics holds your
interest then have a look at "Simple Graphic Programming in RISC OS
BASIC" ... http://www.riscosbasic.uk . The site is incomplete which
reminds me I must add more to it. Much of the material is based on Drag
'n Drop's "55 BBC Micro Books" CDROM.

Good luck with the programming.

Richard