Blowfish encryption
David Higton
2018-11-27 16:34:26 UTC
There has been an interesting discussion in csa.apps recently about
encryption, and producing encrypted copies of files. The discussion
has moved from apps to programmer territory, so I've started this
thread to collect useful info. It has potential to help more people,
hence this rather than private mail.

Martin Avison has hinted at a bug in the Blowfish module.

Dave
Martin
2018-11-27 18:03:37 UTC
Post by David Higton
There has been an interesting discussion in csa.apps recently about
encryption, and producing encrypted copies of files. The
discussion has moved from apps to programmer territory, so I've
started this thread to collect useful info. It has potential to
help more people, hence this rather than private mail.
Martin Avison has hinted at a bug in the Blowfish module.
There was a bug in versions 1.00-1.02 ... but I fixed it in v1.03.
See History file in zip for details.

Martin
--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.
David Higton
2018-11-27 19:39:36 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by David Higton
There has been an interesting discussion in csa.apps recently about
encryption, and producing encrypted copies of files. The
discussion has moved from apps to programmer territory, so I've
started this thread to collect useful info. It has potential to
help more people, hence this rather than private mail.
Martin Avison has hinted at a bug in the Blowfish module.
There was a bug in versions 1.00-1.02 ... but I fixed it in v1.03.
See History file in zip for details.
Oh dear:

*help blowfish
==> Help on keyword Blowfish
Module is: Blowfish 1.01 (21 Jun 2003) (c) Gareth McCaughan [32-bit by Stefan Bellon]

That's from the qlok-a app on Nat Queen's web site.

Guess I'd better find yours then!

Dave
Dave Symes
2018-11-27 19:47:43 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by David Higton
There has been an interesting discussion in csa.apps recently about
encryption, and producing encrypted copies of files. The
discussion has moved from apps to programmer territory, so I've
started this thread to collect useful info. It has potential to
help more people, hence this rather than private mail.
Martin Avison has hinted at a bug in the Blowfish module.
There was a bug in versions 1.00-1.02 ... but I fixed it in v1.03.
See History file in zip for details.
*help blowfish ==> Help on keyword Blowfish Module is: Blowfish
1.01 (21 Jun 2003) (c) Gareth McCaughan [32-bit by Stefan Bellon]
That's from the qlok-a app on Nat Queen's web site.
Guess I'd better find yours then!
Dave
If you have or are using the most recent version of Organizer you should
have it.

I have it in the 2.28 archive in the Modules dir.

Dave
Dave Triffid
David Higton
2018-11-27 21:31:10 UTC
Post by Dave Symes
Post by Martin
Post by David Higton
[...]
Thank you for the thought, Dave, but I never have used Organizer.

(I have to admit that, in this day and age, if I ever did use an
organiser, it wouldn't be on a desktop - it would be on a mobile
phone, so that it would always be with me.)

Dave
David Higton
2018-11-27 22:22:19 UTC
Post by David Higton
Post by Martin
There was a bug in versions 1.00-1.02 ... but I fixed it in v1.03.
See History file in zip for details.
*help blowfish
==> Help on keyword Blowfish
Module is: Blowfish 1.01 (21 Jun 2003) (c) Gareth McCaughan [32-bit by Stefan Bellon]
That's from the qlok-a app on Nat Queen's web site.
Guess I'd better find yours then!
There is a version 1.03 on Nat Queen's site (which suggests that he has
forgotten to update his archives of Q-Lock, which contain version 1.01).
Is that it?

Dave
Martin
2018-11-27 22:12:12 UTC
Post by David Higton
Guess I'd better find yours then!
It is not mine ... v1.03 should be on Nat's website.

Martin
Kevin Wells
2018-11-28 15:38:53 UTC
Post by Martin
Post by David Higton
Guess I'd better find yours then!
It is not mine ... v1.03 should be on Nat's website.
It is near the bottom, under Utilities for programmers
--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
David Higton
2018-11-28 21:16:21 UTC
Post by Kevin Wells
Post by Martin
Post by David Higton
Guess I'd better find yours then!
It is not mine ... v1.03 should be on Nat's website.
It is near the bottom, under Utilities for programmers
Thanks, Kevin, I already happened upon it.

I've reminded Nat that his Q-Lock archives need updating.

Dave

David Higton
2018-11-28 21:27:11 UTC
Post by David Higton
There has been an interesting discussion in csa.apps recently about
encryption, and producing encrypted copies of files. The discussion
has moved from apps to programmer territory, so I've started this
thread to collect useful info. It has potential to help more people,
hence this rather than private mail.
I've just done a test to encrypt and decrypt a file of a little
under 2 GB, on a BBxM. The source is on NAS accessed via LanMan98;
the encrypted and decrypted files are on an SSD connected via USB.
Encryption and decryption were performed in 32 kiB chunks.

The time to encrypt was 948.62 seconds, and the time to decrypt
was 1264.01 seconds.

I know from previous experiments that the encryption and decryption
times are roughly 90% file handling and only about 10% are the
encryption and decryption, and that encryption and decryption take
similar times (not surprising since the algorithms are almost
identical).

I think it was really interesting that LM98 -> SSD was much faster
than SSD -> SSD, although it may be that the SSD was slowed down by
having to deal with a read file and a write file at the same time.

Dave