obeyfiles and doubleclick
Jim Nagel
2018-06-25 13:41:13 UTC
Dumb question from an untutored smalltime dabbler:

If I put a local pathname into an obeyfile and then doubleclick it:
- a Jpeg gets launched if that's what the pathname was, but
- a PDF produces an error ("Cannot open <PDFtext$dir>.stdout for I/O
redirection")

If I prefix "filer_run" before the pathname in my obeyfile,
doubleclick works in both cases.

Why is this? What is the principle involved?
What filetypes other than Jpeg and PDF fall into these two categories?

(I'm trying to establish a routine for when I save an attachment out
of email to disc, where I would put just an obeyfile where the
attachment was.)
--
Jim Nagel www.archivemag.co.uk
"From" address is genuine but will change. Website has current one.
druck
2018-06-25 19:36:39 UTC
Post by Jim Nagel
- a Jpeg gets launched if that's what the pathname was, but
- a PDF produces an error ("Cannot open <PDFtext$dir>.stdout for I/O
redirection")
If I prefix "filer_run" before the pathname in my obeyfile,
doubleclick works in both cases.
Why is this? What is the principle involved?
The program handling JPEGs has set the run type alias correctly, the one
handling PDF's hasn't, and is probably trying to load a second copy of
the application.
Look at Alias$@RunType_XXX for file type XXX.

---druck
Richard Darby
2018-06-26 09:34:02 UTC
In article <***@6.abbeypress.net>,
Jim Nagel <***@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Jim Nagel
(I'm trying to establish a routine for when I save an attachment out
of email to disc, where I would put just an obeyfile where the
attachment was.)
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve, but have you tried
!ShortCut from 7thSoftware.

http://www.7thsoftware.co.uk/software.htm

This will create the Filer_Run path automatically to a folder and you can
place the obey file wherever you like. It is also able to create short
cuts to applications in the same way as Windows uses shortcuts, except it
is rather better than windows, as it also creates obey files for !Boot
!Help and !Run which allows you to make the application immediately
available from wherever you like, and all the options in the filer menu
for the application work.

I find this really useful and use it a lot.

Richard Darby.
--
Richard Darby.
website: http://www.rjdarby.co.uk
Reply to: <my first name> at <my domain>
svrsig
2018-06-30 13:57:23 UTC
Post by Jim Nagel
- a Jpeg gets launched if that's what the pathname was, but
- a PDF produces an error ("Cannot open <PDFtext$dir>.stdout for I/O
redirection")
I must admit that I have cheated. I got frustrated after running BASIC
files (by double-clicking on them in a filer window) that had their data
files in the same directory as the programme and finding that they complained
as they couldn't see the data file in the csd.

I therefore wrote a programme that would set the csd to whatever directory filer
window had just been opened or to whatever directory a file that had been
double-clicked resided. All these errors then vanished. The programme
is !MultiTask and it sits on my icon bar all the time.