Version number of an application
Matthew Phillips
2019-08-02 20:03:05 UTC
When the Iyonix came out, Castle recommended some tweaks to a few of the
conventions to do with applications. For example, they asked authors to
include "Help..." as the second item on the iconbar menu, after Info.

I have a vague recollection that there were some suggestions to do with the
Messages file or maybe setting system variables to show the version number of
the application. This would be useful for finding out what the version was
without running the application and looking at Info. Use cases include a
utility that could trawl the hard disc and index what applications were
installed where.

I cannot find the web page any more. Does anyone have a reference to these
suggestions?

Thanks,
--
Matthew Phillips
Durham
Steve Fryatt
2019-08-02 23:01:21 UTC
On 2 Aug, Matthew Phillips wrote in message
Post by Matthew Phillips
I cannot find the web page any more. Does anyone have a reference to
these suggestions?
Was it this?

https://web.archive.org/web/20090323082415/http://www.iyonix.com/index.html
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Matthew Phillips
2019-08-03 18:34:44 UTC
Post by Matthew Phillips
I cannot find the web page any more. Does anyone have a reference to
these suggestions?
Was it this?
https://web.archive.org/web/20090323082415/http://www.iyonix.com/index.html
Yes thanks, it was part of that site. Specifically this page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080514204932/http://www.iyonix.com/32bit/help.shtml

It advises setting AppName$Version, AppName$Web and various other things I
have never botehred with. It looks like only 12 of the applications that are
booted when I start this computer set AppName$Version -- I don't think this
idea really took off. I wonder whether anything tried to make use of it.

Matthew
Ian

http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/
Steve Fryatt
2019-08-04 10:39:05 UTC
On 4 Aug, Ian wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Aug 2019 19:34:44 +0100 Matthew Phillips
https://web.archive.org/web/20090323082415/http://www.iyonix.com/index.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20080514204932/http://www.iyonix.com/32bit/help.shtml

That's the page I was looking at! Frames were a really bad idea, weren't
they? :-)

[snip]
Post by Matthew Phillips
I wonder whether anything tried to make use of it.
Adam Richardson wrote HelpScan which collates these :-
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/
I was going to mention that, too; it's the only thing that I'm aware of,
however.
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Richard Ashbery
2019-08-04 17:05:35 UTC
Post by Ian
On Sat, 03 Aug 2019 19:34:44 +0100
Adam Richardson wrote HelpScan which collates these :-
http://www.snowstone.org.uk/riscos/
Never knew it existed. Thanks for the link.

Richard