Does anyone recognise the font used here...
Add Reply
u***@garethlock.com
2019-10-27 09:25:51 UTC
In the process of revisiting a project I started in secondary school, shelved, then came back to in 1998. Some of you who were at Feltham yesterday would have seen me playing with this...

Anyway... Does anyone recognise the font used for the red text in the screendump in the following link...

For the re-write I've converted the original sprites from MODE 12 to MODE 28. This of course isn't perfect and leaves a rather "blocky" lo-res look and feel. These graphics are dated back to at least the 1998 version. I have a feeling some of them are from the original secondary school attempt.

Anyway I want to try and re-create these in MODE 28 and lose all the "blockiness", but can't remember what font I used 20+ years ago!!

I seem to recall that I used an Acorn outline font with !Snippet, I think to create the images back in the day.

Would appreciate all the help I can get...
Jim Lesurf
2019-10-27 09:59:01 UTC
Post by u***@garethlock.com
In the process of revisiting a project I started in secondary school, shelved, then came back to in 1998. Some of you who were at Feltham yesterday would have seen me playing with this...
Anyway... Does anyone recognise the font used for the red text in the screendump in the following link...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwmks3mb5i24ciy/IMG_3475.JPG?dl=0
Had a look, but can't help with the font, alas. Looks familiar but can't
tell.

I'm using this as a chance to make another point, though.

I'd recommend with URLs like the above setting the ending to 'dl=1'.

NetSurf with javascript off won't show anything with the url ending 'dl=0'.

Jim
--
Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm
u***@garethlock.com
2019-10-27 12:52:04 UTC
My bad... Using the Dropbox app on an iPhone to automatically generate the links... Copy and paste into the post, so missed it...

Jotter or Jumbo are two that ring bells, though I'm not sure whether it was for this or something else...
Jim Nagel
2019-10-27 16:54:53 UTC
Post by u***@garethlock.com
Jotter or Jumbo are two that ring bells, though I'm not sure whether it
was for this or something else...
In my Fontdir Pro here, I have Jotter in a subdir that says it came with
an A3010 or Riscstation that I had years ago. And Jumbo is in my dir
"unknown" (referring to source). Anyway they don't look like your screen.

The capital "M" in your word "Medium" looks distinctively fat and rounded.
I had a skim through everything else in my Fontdir Pro list, but couldn't
find a match, but I looked only at font names, not at full alphabet for
each.

However, if you did this project on a BBC Micro, how much choice of font
existed?
--
Jim Nagel www.archivemag.co.uk
"From" address is genuine but will change. Website has current one.
u***@garethlock.com
2019-10-27 17:48:08 UTC
Quizzics appeared on a Beeb, but all in teletext with simple PRINT, INPUT console type responses and was never completed due to the fact that the Beeb's PSU took a dump on me half way through. I only really got started on an A310, so it was a RISC OS outline font, possibly as far back as RO2!
Jim Nagel
2019-10-28 01:04:23 UTC
Post by u***@garethlock.com
I only really got started on an A310, so it was a RISC OS outline font,
possibly as far back as RO2!
Just to narrow the field of enquiry a bit, did you ever buy any fonts? Or
if yours come from PD sources, do you remember which sources they might
have been?
u***@garethlock.com
2019-10-28 09:26:56 UTC
I only remember that they came from secondary school... Possibly an early version of Artisan maybe.
Jim Lesurf
2019-10-28 09:27:20 UTC
Post by u***@garethlock.com
Quizzics appeared on a Beeb, but all in teletext with simple PRINT,
INPUT console type responses and was never completed due to the fact
that the Beeb's PSU took a dump on me half way through. I only really
got started on an A310, so it was a RISC OS outline font, possibly as
far back as RO2!
I used the 'NTQ' font system on early machines. Gave good printout at the
time, but a PITA now to make sense of when I read ancient files!

Jim
--
Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm